In vitro fertilization, better known as IVF is a fertility treatment that is performed in patients who are unable to conceive a child on their own for a year or longer. Since IVF has been around for so long, it has undergone many advancements with medical and technological innovations related to it. Today, 1% of babies in the entire world are conceived via Assisted Reproductive Technologies or ART. At our best IVF centre in Delhi, we can boast about a high number of patients and an equally high number of success stories.
IVF is considered to be the most effective and innovative form of ART. A whopping 99% of procedures that are performed under ART belong either to the IVF or the ICSI categories. Although the IVF process is quite full proof, there is still a margin of error in the treatment process. In many cases, IVF is not immediately successful and requires multiple cycles before the patient conceives a child. Thus, it is very important the patients do not get stressed about the outcome of the procedure, something that we make sure of at our IVF center in South Delhi, World IVF Centre.
A patient always has to remember that each infertility case is different, each patient has different needs and thus the chances of the treatment being successful is different for each patient. There are innumerable factors that have to be considered while performing the IVF treatment process and calculating its chances of success. At World IVF Centre in Delhi, we try to account for the maximum number of possible factors to give the best treatment prognosis.
Some common factors that can affect the success or failure rates of IVF treatment are:-
- Age- The age of the procreating couple is the single biggest factor to be concerned about while considering the success of an IVF procedure. IVF has proven to be more successful in women who are at the peak of their fertility, with the success rate decreasing as the age of the couples increases. This is especially the case for women as most of the fertilization and procreation process occurs in the female body.
The success rate of IVF is about 60-65% in women between the ages of 24 to 25, while in women over 40 years of age, the success rate is just 15-20%. Thus, one of the biggest driving factors towards the popularity of IVF today is the urban women’s decision of putting off having a child till their late 30s.
- The type of fertility issues- As the process of IVF has developed, experts have perfected it for many different kinds of fertility problems. Many common fertility-related problems are now easily overcome by IVF. For example, in women, fertility problems such as endometriosis, blocked fallopian tubes, and PCOS, while in men, low sperm count, motility, and morphology can be easily overcome by IVF.
While fertility problems such as fibroids, uterine abnormalities, and ovarian dysfunction or male factor infertility are more difficult to be overcome by simple IVF and can be overcome only by surgeries or donor programs, or ICSI.
- Previous Pregnancies- IVF or ICSI treatments have a much higher success rate in patients where the woman has had a successful pregnancy and carried the baby to full term, while in women who have had recurrent miscarriages, regular IVF treatments might prove to be unsuccessful. For them, other ART techniques such as PGT-A, PGT-M, PGT-SR, and ERA are performed for a better outcome.
- Lifestyle- Another big factor that affects the success of IVF is the lifestyle of the couple. If even one of the partners smokes excessively or leads a very stressful life, then the chances of success of IVF drop significantly. Another thing to be concerned about is the BMI. Both overweight or underweight women have to face difficulty during conception while women with normal BMI don’t.
- The fertility clinic & doctor- One of the biggest external factors that determine the success rate of IVF treatment is the expertise of the fertility clinics and fertility doctors that are performing the treatment. The success of the IVF cycle is directly related to the fertility clinic and its expertise, the protocols that it follows, and the technology that it uses – from the lab’s success rates to laboratory standards, air quality, and the experience of the embryologists all play an important role.
Now, let us help dispel some common myths associated with IVF:-
- Many people believe that the success rates of IVF treatments are higher if multiple embryos are transferred to the uterus. This is not strictly true. The human uterus is meant to have only one child at a time. Fertility doctors often transfer more than one embryo to the uterus in hopes of even single implantation, which can often lead to twins or triplets. Nowadays, many fertility experts have started to adopt elective single embryo transfer to avoid multiple pregnancies and the complications to the mother and child that come with it.
- IVF success rates are different from IUI and ICSI success rates. The global success rate of IVF is only 35% and depends on a multitude of patient factors. The calculation of these success rates also has to account for many different factors such as implantation rate, pregnancy rate, and live birth rate. Also, success rates for the first IVF cycle are often lesser than that of the second IVF cycle.
So while some clinics claim to have a success rate of over 90%, it is very likely not true and the patient must thoroughly research the clinic before starting treatment.
At World IVF Centers in Delhi, we can reassure you that our fertility experts are trying their utmost to mitigate all complications and provide you with the best IVF treatment possible so that you can have your own bundle of joy as soon as possible. Our IVF centre in South Delhi is the right place for you if you are seeking fertility treatment.